Monday, August 15, 2011

Week 3: Another Letter from the MTC

My family! I'm sorry that I didn't e-mail last week. It's kind of a long story. I got locked out of the system. Anyway, I'm good now. Nothing bad happened btw :)
 
The MTC is fantastic. I love it here. I read the scriptures all day. I just got to Ether in the Book of Mormon and I'm over half way done with Jesus the Christ. We have devotionals and firesides every week. I got to hear from Cecil O. Samuelson last Tuesday. I loved seeing him again. He is an awesome guy. He focused on Timothy chapter 4. Go read it.
 
We've had two members of the 70 talk about faith. I love faith. Mine has grown so much stronger these past, three weeks?, (it feels so much longer, and so much shorter at the same time. It's a wierd feeling). The basic question of faith is, "Will I act based on hope or will I demand a witness before I will act?" The cool part is that after we act we recieve that witness and our faith grows. Then there are new things to have faith about. Joseph Smith taught that's it's like a ladder. We grow one step at a time. I'm trying to run up the ladder right now. I'm just trusting in everything the scriptures and prophets have said and continue to say, and it's working.
 
I have such a strong testimony of Jesus Christ as our savior and Redeemer. He is the Son of God. He does in reality live and he wants us to become liike him. We can literally become "joint-heirs with Christ". i think that's in Romans. The Bible is true. The Book of Mormon is true. It testifies of Christ. That he is the Jehovah of the Old Testament and the Savior of the world. He told his disciples, "other sheep i have which are not of this fold. Them also I must bring and there shall be one fold and one shepard." The other sheep were the Nephites and lost trivbes of Isreal. He visited them and taught them his same gospel. The Book of Mormon is very much like the Bible but it didn't go through so many years of confusion and translations. it was translated through the power of God. He had a plan to bring the fullness of His gospel back onto the earth.
 
In 1820, young Joseph Smith was reading in James. he read verse 5 that says, "If any of you lack wisdom, let him ask of God; that giveth to all men liberally and abraideth not, and it shall be given him". Joseph acted on this promise. He went to a grove of trees and prayed to ask God which church he shoud join. In a miraculous answer to his prayer, he gives the following acount. "I saw a pillar of light exactly over my head, above the brightness of the sun, it descended gradually until it rested upon me. When the light rested upin me I saw two Personages whose brightness and glory defy all description, standing in the air above me. One of them spoke to me, calling me by name, and said, pointing to the other, "This is my beloved Son. Hear Him." The two personages were God the Father and Jesus Christ. Thus began the restoration of Christ's church that he had organized while he was on the earth. Over time, Joseph recieved the priesthood and saving ordinances that man can enter in to, to return to our Heavnly Father. We have a prophet today. The heavens are not closed. This church is lead by Jesus Christ, not men. The heavens are not closed.
 
I feel the Holy Ghost in my life daily. We can talk to our God and he will answer us through the Holy Ghost. Miracles are possible. i'm living one now. There's no way I could learn Portuguese this fast on my own. i have the Lord's strength with me. This is His work. He welcomes all to come unto His church and forsake family and past beliefs, to be a part of His kingdom. he lives and will return. i can't wait for that day. I am doing all i can to prepare the world for His coming by sharing the truth that I know with others.
 
It's good to hear about all of your differnt activities. Keep it up and work hard. Josh, do good with football. Read Deuteronomy 34. it's something like that. i can't remember. you'll like it. Ben, talk to me bro. Samantha and McKayla you are amazing. thank you so much for writing me. My time is almost over so I have to go, but read the scriptures everyday. All of them. Bible, Doctrine and Covenants,  Pearl of Great Price, the words of the living prophets and especially the Book of Mormon. If you read it and pray about it you will know it's true. I love you so much. be good. Always be exactly obedient to the Lords commandments. Don't try to bend them. Share the gospel with your friends. They need it. Everyone deserves it. Whether they will accept it or not is their choice. But give them the chance.
 
Love, Elder Hodson
 

No comments:

Post a Comment