Monday, August 29, 2011

Letter #5: Still in Provo MTC

Family,
 
How are you? I love to hear from you. Thank you for writing. It means so much.
 
The MTC is great. I continue to learn and grow and become a better person everday. Dad thank you for having us set goals. It helps because now we set daily goals. It's cool how fast we progress when we keep track of ourselves.
 
Dad, thanks for your e-mails and advice. I just read it and I feel great. It's funny I was just reading about Lehi's dream (in Portuguese yay!) and thinking about the scriptures. I love them and understand their purpose better now. Elder Jefferey R. Holland taught that the scriptures are the pure vehicle of the Spirit. It is so true. I love the inspired words of prophets of the Lord.
 
Oh yeah, I almost forgot. I just got called to be district leader on Sunday. It's a great opportunity. I love my district so much and want them to be successful missionaries. I read and learned from D&C 121 last night to try to get in the right frame of mind. I think I have finally begun to understand humility (I have daily goals to work on -- like not boasting at all). I don't want to lose what I've learned. D&C 121 talks a lot about what Christ taught his apostles when he was on the earth and they wanted to know who would be greatest in the kingdom of heaven. He taught that they that exalt themselves in this life wll be abased and they that abase themselves will be exalted. He taught that the greatest in the kingdom of heaven would be the servant of all. The Gentiles have their way of leading. The leader expects to be served and honored. He exercises dominion over others. But leaders in the Kingdom of God have to love and serve and not be served. King Benjamin talked about it. Joseph Smith talked about it. And Jesus Christ himself taught it. It is one of the mysteries of God and the kingdom of heaven. I hope I can live the way they did.
 
I'm so grateful to all of my friends who have written me. It is great to here about them and their lives. It kinda reminds me that real life is still going on. My world is missionary work.
 
So, I heard that there was some big hurricane on the east coast. How is everything? I might get reassigned over there in the next couple weeks. Which reminds me that Elder Morrey got reassigned to Billings Montana Mission... That's where Elder Stauffer is! I'm so jealous. That was like one of the three missions I wanted to go to. Florida, for Elder Tagg and Meachem and then Alabama (to make Nartkers dreams come true, tell him I'm praying for Alabama).
 
That's really all that's new with me. We get to teach investigators (who are our teachers being investigators). This week Elder McNeil and I taught Paulinha about the Law of Chastity. I really felt the Spirit directing me while I taught. It was so strong. She had questions about homosexual relationships and we were able to teach her lovingly and boldly. She wants to get baptized. She also had problems with the Word of Wisdom but we are praying for her and she hasn't smoked or had coffee in over a week. Our other investigator, Diego, is committed to baptism! It seems like a miracle because he didn't seem very interested at first. This upcoming week I get to be an invetsigator for another companionship. I take the role of someone I know that I think would be blessed by the message of the gospel. I am really excited.
 
Anyway, I love you so much. Do what is right and you will be blessed. The scripture that is the theme of my week is Isiah 40:28-31. It's beautiful and powerful.
 
Good luck with everything. I'll see you soon. Is it wied to think that I'm 1/24 done with my mission. It's going to go by too fast.
 
Love,
 
Elder Hodson

No comments:

Post a Comment